The original 5-acre site included tennis and basketball courts and a parking lot. The site was adjacent to Roselle Grove (a stand of trees), where steam and condensate was installed and (1) vault was set. Existing utilities had to be demolished. The water main, sanitary and storm sewers, electrical duct banks and telecommunications all had to be relocated. New mechanical utilities were installed to upgrade the University’s steam condensate and chilled water.
- Placed (7) large mechanical vaults
- Placed 1,100 LF of steam piping
- Placed 645’ chilled water pipe
- Removed and replaced 10”, 8”, 6” & 4” water mains
- Installed new water well piping
- Installed 600’ new sanitary sewer
- Installed new electrical & telecomm duct banks
- Installed 1250’ new storm sewer
- Unknown utilities existed throughout the site so our operators had to work delicately to perform the excavation and keep existing utilities live.
- Mitigation of over 30” of rain that fell during the summer of 2013 using creative drainage solutions and multiple pumps.
- Installation of steel casings between 16” and 24” (for installation of product pipe) by jacking and boring under Academy Street four times.
My experience with Corrado Construction on UD's South Campus Steam and Condensate project was truly remarkable. The project consisted of a nearly impossible schedule that was riddled with daily challenges. To make matters worse, we experienced the most excessive rainfall ever recorded. Amazingly, Corrado worked nights, weekends, whatever it took to get back to work each day. They literally moved lakes of water in order to push through their work and maintain the schedule. I cannot begin to express how impressed I was with Corrado’s professionalism, attention to detail and safety, and hard work on the UD SCSC Project. The UD SCSC Project was a tremendous success and Corrado Construction’s tireless efforts left our client the University of Delaware completely satisfied.Michael Palotas - Project Manager, Whiting-Turner
I wanted to personally thank you for the exceptional job your firm did in completing the Academy Street Dining & Residence Hall and Harrington Dormitory projects of the past 18 months. Your firm’s attention to detail was very evident in the coordination of the work at each of the sites and the quality of the finished project. I have been with the University over 9 years and have completed over 10 utility projects and these two were by far the best in regards to safety, logistics and execution. Both projects were completed on schedule despite numerous weather related delays last year. Your Project Management team of Brian/Kyle and Site Superintendents John/Mike were very proactive in planning the work and interfacing with the UD community. I look forward to working with Corrado in the future and if there is anything I can do for you please let me know.Dave McNamara - Assistant Director, University of Delaware