|Project||University of DE – Haines Street Utility|
|Client||Skanska Building Corporation|
|Design Professional||Duffield Associates|
|Job Size||1 – 3 Million|
|Date of Completion||August 2012|
The project involved the installation of new steam and condensate, chilled water service and return, and electrical duct banks. Installation had to occur while keeping the existing sanitary sewer, storm sewer, water mains, electrical duct banks, telephone communications and gas mains active in a compressed, three-month schedule to eliminate student disturbance.
- Substantially completed project one week ahead of schedule.
- Coordinated and cooperated with multiple contractors to maintain accessibility and progress.
- Installed 2300’ of mechanical utilities amidst a labyrinth of active, existing utilities.
- Maintained all functioning of all seven existing utilities.
- Restored lawn and site including concrete curb and sidewalks, concrete pavers, bike racks, dumpster pads, and site lighting.
- Restored Haines Street storm sewer and hot mix road while working with the local jurisdiction to ensure local specifications were achieved.
Excavation started at approximately 14’ in depth, several feet of which went into the groundwater table. Unearthing of existing utilities took extensive probing, delicate maneuvering from heavy equipment operators, and significant amounts of hand digging. Unknown site factors created a project wrought with complexities.