We are looking for a full-time foreman with at least 5 years of experience in the site development industry.
- Coordinating, directing and leading operators and laborers engaged in excavation, underground utilities and/or paving.
- Supervising crews to obtain top quality workmanship, efficiency, employee satisfaction, morale, communication, commitment, and teamwork.
- Relating to the public and clients in a professional, courteous and respectful manner and responding appropriately to their complaints.
- Preparing employee time sheets and submitting to payroll daily, ensuring that hours are assigned properly.
- Performing supervisory and management functions related to job cost accounting.
- Regularly communicating with the shop about repair and maintenance needs on all major pieces of equipment on assigned jobs.
*May also engage in the same construction trades work as the personnel being supervised.
- Basic knowledge of administration and management. Must be able to plan, allocate resources, manage production and coordinate crews and equipment.
- Knowledge of materials, methods and the tools involved in site work construction and asphalt paving.
- Strong coordination, time management, active listening, oral and written expression and comprehension, critical thinking and reasoning skills.
- Ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong—to recognize problems when they occur and to work toward the solution of those problems.
- Ability to exercise good judgment when carrying out duties and to maintain good working relationships with the public and fellow employees.
- Strong mathematical abilities and the ability to remember words, numbers and other information. Must be able to read, understand and apply information obtained from blueprints, surveys and job specifications.
- Ability to use a transit to establish grades and lay out projects.
- The foreman has the overall responsibility for safe, efficient operations on all job sites. He is responsible for the safety of employees, the public, property and equipment. A foreman shall:
- Analyze job specifications and the job site for possible safety hazards. Meet with the General Superintendent at least once a week to preplan the next week’s activities.
- Ensure that “Miss Utility” is contacted prior to commencing any groundbreaking operations to determine the necessity for any special precautions.
- Determine which safety equipment and first aid supplies are needed for a job and insure that the equipment and supplies are on hand by the startup date.
- Immediately report all employee and liability accidents and thoroughly investigate after the accident is reported. The accident must be reported to safety immediately.
- Make certain that your personnel have, and use, the required personal protective equipment, including hard hats, eye protection, hearing protection, respirators, etc.
- Post emergency telephone numbers at all times and hold Tool Box Talks once each week.
- Check the work area continuously for unsafe conditions and work practices and take corrective action when necessary. Secure all job site materials and equipment properly.
- Ensure that all employees and subcontractors conduct their operations in accordance with the company’s CSAFETY program, OSHA standards and all other federal, state and local requirements.
- Educate and motivate their crew regarding safety rules, procedures, and attitudes. Believe in and sell the company’s safety program to all personnel on the site.
- Valid Driver’s License and reliable transportation
- Willingness to travel to project sites within a 50 mile radius of Wilmington DE
- Must pass a drug screen and criminal background test, provided by the company prior to employment
- Vision correctable to 20/20
- Ability to walk, stoop, bend and climb
- Ability to reach and stretch
- Ability to lift up to 75 pounds
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with special needs to perform the essential functions.
- Low-cost, first-rate benefits package
- Steady stream of incoming work
- 401K company match
- Paid holiday and vacation time
- Safety record well below industry standard
- The support you will need to be successful